How to Clean A Dab Rig
If you’re reading this article, chances are good that you own a dab rig and have been enjoying the benefits of dabbing. Cleaning dab rigs isn’t an exciting part of cannabis consumption, but if you want to have the best dabbing experience, you need a clean dab rig.
Why cleaning a dab rig is important
Dabbing can be a fun and rewarding experience, but with each hit, resin accumulates in the glass piece that makes up your dab rig dirty. After long, the charred and dark resin will begin to affect the taste of the dab, delivering harsh hits that can cause problems for people with respiratory conditions, cough, or asthma.
Another reason why it is crucial to clean your dab rig is that moisture and dirt can cause bacteria and mould to grow in your dab rig, which can also cause grave health problems. If left for too long, the piece may become clogged and restrict airflow completely.
The wrong ways to clean your dab rig
There are many DIY techniques for cleaning a dab rig, but very few are effective. Here are some methods you should avoid:
Mixing vinegar and sodium and bicarbonate: Although a general cleaner, it seldom removes tough cannabis resins, and it smells really bad.
Submerging the entire rig into hot water: This technique might remove a good deal of the resin build-up, but there’s a chance it won’t be entirely clean.
Using bleach: Bleach is widely considered to be a great cleaning agent, but it is not safe for use for anything that will come in contact with food or drinks.
How to clean a dab rig correctly
For most dab rig cleaning endeavors, these are the cleaning essentials you need:
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Salt (preferably coarse over fine salt)
- A cotton swab or pipe cleaner
- Res Caps
- Zipper bag
Here are the steps you need to follow;
- Create your solution by filling the bag with isopropyl alcohol and adding ¼ to ½ cup of salt. Then mix it until most of the salt is dissolved.
- Take your dab rig apart and submerge it in the zipper bag, which is now filled with the solution. If you have res caps, simply place the appropriate ones on each of the openings of your rig to lock in the solution. The shake it lightly so the salt and alcohol solutions can dislodge the resins in hard-to-reach places.
- Let the right entire rig soak in the cleaning solution for 30 minutes, but if the rig is very dirty, let it soak for hours or a day to ensure the resin is completely removed.
- Once the rig is clean, rinse it off with room temperature water. Make sure all the trace of alcohol and resin is completely rinsed out.
- Now wipe the rig with a soft cloth to dry before storing it or using it to dab again.
Cleaning your dab rig can help preserve the best flavor as well as protect your health. Most experts recommend cleaning your dab rig every 3-6 months, depending on how dirty it is. So be sure to remove the resins so you can have the best dabbing experience possible.